Eating healthy on a budget is possible with a little planning and creativity. Here are some tips to get the best bang for your buck when you’re shopping so you and your family can enjoy delicious and nutritious meals that fit within your budget:
- Plan your meals in advance. Meal planning can help save time and money by avoiding last-minute trips to the grocery store and eating out. It can also help you make healthier choices by ensuring that you have a variety of healthy ingredients on hand.
- Shop at the right time. The price of meat and produce can vary depending on the time of year. Shopping when these foods are in season can help you save money and get the most out of your grocery budget.
- Buy in bulk. Buying certain foods in bulk, like grains, nuts and frozen produce can save you money since bulk pricing is often cheaper per unit. Be sure to store your bulk items properly at home to ensure the longevity of the items.
- Grow your own food. If you have the time and the space, consider growing your own fruits and vegetables. This can be a cost-effective way to add more produce to your diet and it can also be a fun and rewarding experience.
- Take advantage of discounts and deals. Many grocery stores offer discounts and deals on healthy foods, such as buy-one-get-one-free offers and generic brand products. Keep an eye out for these deals and take advantage of them when you can.
- Shop at your local farmer’s market. Farmer’s markets are great for purchasing seasonal produce that is low-cost and locally grown in your area. To find a farmer’s market near you, check out our Interactive Map. (Many farmer’s markets also participate in SNAP incentive programs, allowing participants to spend their SNAP benefits at local farmer’s markets.)
By following these tips, you can eat healthy on a budget and still enjoy a variety of nutritious and delicious foods.
The Rapides Foundation is a philanthropic organization that develops initiatives and provides grants to organizations in its nine-parish service area that share the Foundation’s Mission to improve the health status of Central Louisiana. Through its Healthy Behaviors Initiative, the Foundation addresses the health behavior priorities of tobacco prevention and control, alcohol/substance abuse prevention, healthy eating and active living. For more information, visit www.rapidesfoundation.org.